Hello Beautiful Souls :)
I hope your March is off to a fabulous start! Let's begin the season of spring with a vision of greater health and connection for our bodies and minds.
This past month marks my one year vegan anniversary! I can honestly say that shifting to a plant based diet was one of the best decisions I was guided to follow. I know my body is at optimal health and I recognize that adopting this life style change was the very best choice for me.
Now maybe you are not vegan, are confused by it or simply, you are not interested in learning more. That's perfectly a-ok, as this is not about veganism. The intention behind this post is to shed light on how we can be more mindful of our health through diet and exercise; BEFORE we even discuss what it is that we are consuming.
A healthy diet and exercise begins in our minds, of course!
About halfway through writing this, the words "Eat Better, Feel Better" greeted my gaze. If that isn't a sign to move forward with this week's topic... I don't know what is. So here it goes!
1. Retire the old story of "I don't like veggies or I don't eat that kind of food." This used to be me, so I feel comfortable saying that this is some b.s. Embrace change! Everything is constantly changing and the same is true with our taste buds. Learn to love foods that are good for you.
2. Before you think of changing your diet, adopting veganism or any other life-style change... ask yourself, why?! What purpose is behind your change in diet? Is it to be skinner? Is it to intentionally fuel your body with healthy energy sources? Your answers to these questions matter!
3. Bless your food. Take a moment of gratitude before you eat. Look at your plate. What's on it? How much food is there? What colors make up your meal? What aroma is being sent into the air? Who prepared your food? Again, these answers matter.
4. Check in with yourself as you are eating. "Is this the most loving food I can be fueling my body with right now?" If so, how? If not, what is? How will that food better assist your body and mind?
5. Drink Water. We are water. We need water to survive. Water is cleansing and purifying for our mind, body and heart. Often times when we think we are hungry, it is our body really telling us we are dehydrated. Make a game out of it - how much water can you drink by noon? 6 p.m.?
6. Take daily vitamins and a probiotic. A healthy gut = a healthy body.
7. Are you bothered by a certain body part? Acknowledge it. Touch your arm, tummy, legs or whatever spot you need to give further validation to, repeat "I'm sorry, I love you, Please forgive me, Thank you." (this beautiful healing prayer is called Ho'oponopono and there will be another post on this prayer alone... coming soon!). Let's stop for a moment to recognize how grateful we are for our bodies, these beautiful power houses. A true universe within itself. How amazing that these flesh vehicles transport us and connect us to our environment?! Let's be grateful for them, first and foremost.
8. Before you get to the gym to take that workout class, run the treadmill or whatever you prefer to do to sweat it out... Check in with yourself! How do you feel? Why are you about to work out? How do you hope to feel after the work out? Tomorrow?
9. Gather as much background knowledge as possible regarding the food you are consuming. Was your food made my loving human hands or mass produced in a factory? Are there additives and chemicals included to increase shelf life? How do you think those elements will play out inside your body?
10. Increase the amount of steps you walk per day. Gone are the days spent driving around the parking lot to get the closest spot to the door. Purposely, park the farthest away! This is an easy way to get your steps up and increase that blood flow.
11. Be gentle with yourself. Do you have an "all or nothing mentality"? Let's shift this mindset. We don't have to push ourselves to the max. If we simply show up and allow our bodies to guide us through our best workout, then all is more than perfect. Whether it is a long walk, a intense run or a 30 min TRX session, it doesn't matter. Just move. It is as much an exercise for your mental state, as it is for your physical body.
12. Don't wait until Monday or "next week" to start fresh. Start right now. This very moment. The only time is now. You are capable and you can do this. Tell yourself that continuously!
13. Surround yourself with friends who support you. We are who we surround ourselves with. Build your own natural support system. Maybe you will find a gym buddy to encourage you to keep that fitness appointment? Trade bar nights for healthy meal prep night. Encourage each other to get moving and stay focused.
14. Create a health journal. Start by writing down how you feel when you eat certain foods, do certain workouts, even wear certain clothing. Writing down and reflecting upon your answers, will help you become more aware of what is going on in and around your body.
15. Breathe. Breathe. Breathe. You are perfect the way you are. Right in this very moment. Everything until now has served you the way that it was intended. If you have struggled with fitness, weight or body image it doesn't mean it will always be this way. Open up to something greater and encourage yourself to stay on this path.
Yay!!! We made it through 15 shifts that can be implemented TODAY to shift the energy around our bodies, our minds and the foods we eat.
Take your time with these practices. Some of them may resonate with you, others not so much... it is all good! Absorb what is meant for you and challenge yourself to try out and/or stick to some of these techniques.
I am curious to hear what you all think. :)
Until next time... Sending love, light & truth